The custom-ordered, 92,000-square-foot, 19 million-pound surface at University of Phoenix Stadium is the only retractable playing surface in the U.S. This week, it was moved out so it could be prepared for the Super Bowl after the stadium hosted the Pro Bowl last Sunday.
Greg Gilbert / The Seattle Times
- UPDATE - 02:39 PM Committee hears arguments on proposed WSU med school
- UPDATE - 02:46 PM Boeing to build Air Force One replacement
- Report: Highway 99 tunnel contractors not at fault over soil
- Island County Sheriff’s Office faces $10M claim over serial pedophile
- Income growth skips all but top 1 percent in Washington state
- UPDATE - 03:54 PM Bill Boeing’s 1930 yacht up for sale
- Quiz: Think you know Boston and Seattle? Bone up before the Super Bowl
UPDATE - 04:18 PM Which GOP lawmakers got donations from state-worker unions
UPDATE - 02:50 PM Activists, lawmakers rally at Capitol to end homelessness
UPDATE - 03:44 PM Electrical fire ignited Christmas tree in fatal Md. fire
UPDATE - 04:08 PM Huntington acquires Louis Pasteur's notes on brewing beer
UPDATE - 04:05 PM At farewell, Obama praises Hagel as 'true American patriot'
UPDATE - 04:14 PM Census: 1 in 5 children on food stamps
UPDATE - 03:56 PM Democratic US Rep. Ryan says he now supports abortion rights
UPDATE - 04:02 PM Litvinenko inquiry: Post-mortem was most dangerous ever
Entertainment & Living
NEW - 02:46 PM Theater legend Joel Grey reveals that he is gay
NEW - 02:56 PM Hints of sizzle at Kimchi House in Ballard | Dining Deal
After decades in the public eye, Chai and Bamboo deserve to retire. No more forced breeding. No more forced socializing. Send them to a safe place where, finally, they can just be.Editorial: "Give Woodland Park Zoo elephants Bamboo and Chai much-needed retirement"
- Editorial: Give Woodland Park Zoo elephants Bamboo and Chai much-needed retirement
- Editorial: Turning Federal Reserve building into a school is fitting for Seattle’s urban core
- Guest: Our state parks are heavily used but underfunded
- Should marijuana home grows be legal in Washington?
UPDATE - 03:12 PM Storm trades leading scorer Camille Little to Connecticut
UPDATE - 04:14 PM Fed stays 'patient' on rates while noting improving economy