Nutrition Quiz: Figs
Figs are renowned for their digestive aid.
You say you don't give a fig about the sweet fruit that comes from the ficus tree? Well, you will after taking a succulent bite out of our quiz.
1. Which little critter pollinates figs, whose flowers are entirely inside the fruit?
2. Now that the wasp reference has whetted your appetite, how many fewer calories does one cup of figs contain compared to a cup of raisins?
3. Figs are renowned for their, uh, digestive aid. What percentage of the daily value of fiber does a cup of figs provide?
a) 38 percent
b) 58 percent
c) 88 percent
4. A study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that high consumption of figs led to what percentage of a decrease in the incidence of postmenopausal breast cancer?
a) 10 percent
b) 29 percent
c) 34 percent
5. Fig lore has it that a certain political leader ordered his citizens to consume at least one fig a day to ward off disease. Who was that leader?
a) Alexander the Great of Macedonia
b) Mithradates the Great of Pontus
c) Xerxes the Great of Persia
— — —
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: b; 3: b; 4: c; 5: b.
The Morning Memo
The Morning Memo jump starts your day with weather, traffic and news
Homes -- New Home Showcase
Your Opinion Matters
Take our survey and enter to win $100. Enter Now!