His reaction certainly wasn't par for the course
Talk about taking an ill-advised drop. Mike Miller, 21, was so happy to hit a hole-in-one in a tournament at Knollwood Country Club in Elmsford...
The Seattle Times
Talk about taking an ill-advised drop.
Mike Miller, 21, was so happy to hit a hole-in-one in a tournament at Knollwood Country Club in Elmsford, N.Y. — and win two years' use of a new Lincoln MKZ — that he took a flying leap onto the hood of his prize.
And shattered the windshield with his rear end.
"I'm saying to myself, 'What's he jumping on?' " Miller's father, Bob, told the Westchester County Journal News. "The next thing I know, he's on the windshield. Thank God, he turned his body around. ... If he would've landed on his face, who knows what might've happened to the kid?"
• At TheOnion.com: "Yankees fans turn on Mariano Rivera after spat with wildly popular Joba Chamberlain."
• At SportsPickle.com: "Everyone totally fine with the IRS auditing the New England Patriots."
5-iron, flat iron
Golfer Luke Donald finally took delivery of the 200 pounds of Kobe beef he won for capturing the Dunlop Phoenix tournament in Japan last year.
First order of business: Start working on his slice.
Dwyane Wade surprised a Heat fan by accepting her YouTube request and taking her to the senior prom at Archbishop Coleman Carroll High School.
She would've asked LeBron James, but she didn't want to wait for the two-hour ESPN special.
As the Worm turns
Wonders comedy writer Tim Hunter: "Doesn't it bother anyone else that, when we reach the brink of a nuclear war, our fate lies with Dennis Rodman?"
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, after Cardinals rookie Shelby Miller one-hit the Rockies: "I haven't seen a one-hitter since I paid $49 for the Floyd Mayweather pay-per-view fight."
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on a sure sign that Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin was using PEDs: "At a recent minicamp, he bench-pressed 405. Not pounds. Benches."
• CBC's Don Cherry, after the NHL suspended the Sharks' Raffi Torres for a flagrant hit: "Twenty years ago, you would've got a medal for doing something like this."
• NBC's Jay Leno, after the Heat eliminated President Obama's favorite team, the Bulls: "Know what that means? LeBron James is going to get audited by the IRS."
Paging Kevin Costner
Belgium's Nicolas Colsaerts, playing at the Volvo World Match Play Championship in Kavarna, Bulgaria, had to take relief for an errant tee shot at a very unusual location: a course restroom.
In other words: Tin Cup, meet Tin Can.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org