Recipe: Asian Grilled Salmon Sandwich with Tomato Onion Salad
2 6-ounce wild salmon fillets
¼ cup low-sodium tamari sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 large slices multigrain bread
Olive oil spray
2 teaspoons wasabi powder
2 teaspoons water
¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 scallions, sliced
½ cup thin sliced peeled cucumber
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons reduced-fat oil and vinegar dressing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Several leaves prewashed salad
2 ripe tomatoes, cut into several wedges
1. For salmon, heat grill or broiler. Place salmon in a self-sealing plastic bag with tamari sauce and ginger. Marinate 10 minutes turning once during that time. Spray one side of each bread slice with olive oil spray. Set aside.
2. Mix wasabi powder and water together to form a paste. Mix paste into mayonnaise. Set aside.
3. Remove salmon from marinade and pat dry with paper towel. Spray grill grates with olive oil spray. Place salmon on grill about 5 inches from heat and grill two minutes per side. Salt and pepper cooked side. The timing will be the same using a stovetop grill. While salmon grills, toast the bread on the grill, olive oil sprayed side down.
4. To serve: Spread each slice of bread with a layer of the mayonnaise mixture. Place a salmon fillet on two of the slices. Place cucumber slices and scallion on the salmon. Cover with the remaining bread slices.
5. For salad: Stir onion and dressing together. Divide lettuce between two dinner plates and place tomatoes on top. Spoon dressing over top.
— Linda Gassenheimer, McClatchy-Tribune News Service