Recipe: Creamy Polenta with Kale and Mushrooms
5 cups water
1 cup polenta or cornmeal
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
2 pounds mixed mushrooms (whatever kind you like best), cut in half
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 bunch kale (8 large leaves), shredded
Sherry vinegar, for serving
1. Bring the water to boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add the polenta, whisking all the while.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until thickened, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper, cover and keep warm.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and shallots, and cook, stirring, until the shallots are golden, eight to 10 minutes.
5. Add the kale and cook until it starts to soften, about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Divide the polenta among four bowls and top with the kale mixture. Drizzle with a little sherry vinegar and olive oil and serve.
— Adapted by Tampa Bay Times from “Eat & Make Charming Recipes + Kitchen Crafts You will Love” by Paul Lowe (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014)