Recipe: Zucchini Crab Cakes With Lime Aioli
1 medium potato
1 medium zucchini
16 ounces lump crab meat, drained
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 whole egg, lightly beaten, plus 2 egg yolks
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
All-purpose flour, for dredging
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Poke the potato all over with a fork. Microwave on high until completely tender, six to 10 minutes depending on your microwave. Allow the potato to cool until easily handled, then peel and mash.
2. While the potato cooks and cools, prepare the other ingredients. Shred the zucchini on the largest holes of a box grater. Place the shreds in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze over the sink to remove any excess liquid.
3. In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, crab, breadcrumbs, whole egg, and cooled mashed potato along with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Stir gently just until the mixture is combined. Using ½ cup of the mixture at a time, form 10 patties, arranging them on a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together the garlic, 2 egg yolks, mustard, lime juice and zest, and vinegar. In a slow stream, drizzle in the olive oil while whisking continuously. Season with salt and pepper.
5. After the cakes have chilled, dredge them thoroughly in flour.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the cakes, working in batches if necessary, and cook for three minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with the aioli.
— Alison Ladman, The Associated Press