Recipe: Kale and Wild Rice Salad with Raisins and Walnuts
Serves 4 to 6
4 cups water
1 cup wild rice
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup dried sour cherries
1 / 3 cup orange juice, divided
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 ½ teaspoons orange zest
3 cups stemmed and coarsely chopped kale
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the wild rice. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the rice is tender but still chewy, 45 to 50 minutes.
2. While the rice is cooking, place the raisins and dried sour cherries in a bowl and add one-fourth cup orange juice and just enough hot tap water to cover, and set aside to soften.
3. When the rice is cooked, add the minced shallot and the orange zest, cover the pan and remove it from the heat to stand five minutes to absorb any remaining water. Remove the lid, drain any leftover water and cool to room temperature.
4. Place the kale in a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with one-fourth teaspoon salt and drizzle over the olive oil. Massage the kale roughly with your hands, crushing the leaves and turning them over until they are tender and lightly covered with oil.
5. Combine the kale and the wild rice. Drain the dried fruit and add it to the rice mixture along with the walnuts. Toss to mix thoroughly and season to taste with a little more salt, if necessary, freshly ground black pepper and the remaining orange juice. This makes about five cups salad.
— Los Angeles Times