In the news:
Recipe: Chicken Stew with Sweet Plantains
4 to 6 servings
3 pounds chicken parts, skin on
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
3 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest plus the juice of 2 oranges (about 2 / 3 cup)
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest plus the juice of ½ lime, more as needed
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
2 large sweet, very ripe plantains (they should be black and yellow), peeled and sliced into ½-inch rounds
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
½ cup sliced pitted green olives
Chopped cilantro, for serving
1. Rub chicken with cumin, chili powder, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons oregano, ½ teaspoon black pepper, the orange zest and lime zest. Coat with 1 tablespoon oil. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces, skin side down. Cook, in batches if necessary, until golden brown all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add plantains in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown, three to five minutes per side. (Add more oil to pan between batches if needed.) Transfer plantains to a bowl.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook until vegetables are softened, seven to 10 minutes. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and cook one minute.
5. Stir in tomatoes with their juices, orange juice, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Return chicken and plantains to pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Keep at a steady simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Stir in olives and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt or lime juice to taste. Serve topped with cilantro.
—Melissa Clark, The New York Times