Recipe: Peppermint Fantasy Fudge
A recipe for holiday baking.
Makes 16 squares
1½ cups sugar
2 / 3 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons salted butter
¼ tsp. kosher salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1½ cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
¼ cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
1. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving extra for overhang.
2. In a heavy bottomed two-quart saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula.
3. When mixture reaches 234 degrees, remove from heat and stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips and peppermint extract. Stir until marshmallows and chocolate chips have melted.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle crushed candy over the fudge and allow to cool at room temperature until set, approximately two hours.
5. Remove fudge from pan by grasping the foil or parchment paper overhang and pulling the block of candy out. Peel away foil or paper and cut into 1-inch squares.
Adapted by Melissa Martinez of the Austin American-Statesman from “The Flying Brownie: 100 Terrific Homemade Food Gifts for Friends and Loved Ones Far Away” by Shirley Fan (Harvard Common Press, $17.95).