Recipe: Sausage And Mushroom Strata
Serves eight to 10
¾ pound turkey or pork breakfast sausage links
1 tablespoon butter
8 medium mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 large shallot, peeled and minced
4 cups small French bread cubes
6 eggs or 1½ cups egg substitute
2 cups low-fat milk
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 tablespoons drained and chopped pimento
1 cup grated low-fat or regular cheddar cheese
1. Place the sausage in a large skillet and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain. Pierce the sausage and brown on all sides until meat is cooked through. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and cool. Cut into small pieces.
2. Heat the butter in a skillet until hot. Add the mushrooms and shallot; sauté until cooked, about five minutes. Drain and cool in a colander.
3. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray. Spread the bread cubes in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the sausage and mushrooms.
4. Whisk together the eggs or egg substitute, milk, salt, pepper and dill weed. Pour over the ingredients in the baking dish; sprinkle with the pimento and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Remove the strata from refrigeration an hour before cooking. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350-degree oven 45 minutes, or until the eggs look done in the center of the casserole. Let sit five minutes before serving.
From The Seattle Times archives, 1993