Recipe: Watermelon Rind Pickles
Two 24-ounce jars
1¾ pounds peeled watermelon rind, cut into 1-inch pieces (You’ll need a 5-pound watermelon)
4 cups sugar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1. Wash the watermelon well. Cut away the pink flesh and peel away the green skin. You’ll be left with white rind. That’s what you’ll use.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add rind. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Divide rinds between two 24-ounce glass jars.
4. Bring sugar, vinegar, cloves and cinnamon to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan over high heat; pour over rinds.
5. Seal jars with lids; let cool. Chill overnight.
Adapted By Janet K. Keeler, the Tampa Bay Times from Saveur.com