Recipe: Chocolate Banana Ginger Quick Bread
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup honey
¼ cup molasses
2 cups bran
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground dry ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
¾ cup finely chopped candied ginger.
1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with baking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, bananas, brown sugar, honey, molasses and bran. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
4. Once the banana-bran mixture has sat for 10 minutes, add the flour mixture to it and gently stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the chopped chocolate and chopped ginger. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition information per serving: 380 calories; 110 calories from fat (29 percent of total calories); 13 g fat (3 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 25 mg cholesterol; 68 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 34 g sugar; 6 g protein; 370 mg sodium.
Alison Ladman, The Associated Press