Recipe: Super Seed Bread
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
1¾ cups water
½ cup hulled pumpkin seeds (often labeled pepitas)
½ cup hulled sunflower seeds (sometimes labeled sunflower seed hearts or meats)
¼ cup whole flaxseeds
¼ cup white sesame seeds
¼ cup chia seeds
1 cup quick oats
½ cup quick barley
¼ cup psyllium seed husks
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
½ cup hazelnuts, toasted
1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In a measuring cup, whisk together the honey, olive oil and water.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, oats, barley, psyllium seed husks, almonds, hazelnuts and salt. Pour in the water mixture and mix well.
4. Pat the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top with moistened fingers. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least three hours or up to overnight.
5. When ready to bake, heat the oven to 350 F. Uncover the loaf and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the loaf pan and place on a wire rack in the oven. Bake for another 30 minutes, or until deep golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped. Let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Nutrition information per serving: 280 calories; 170 calories from fat (61 percent of total calories); 19 g fat (2.5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 8 g fiber; 4 g sugar; 9 g protein; 170 mg sodium.
Adapted by Alison Ladman, The Associated Press, from Sarah Britton’s blog, http://www.mynewroots.org/site/