In the news:
Recipe: Red Wine Honey Cake with Plums
2½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1¼ cups olive oil
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons good quality honey, more to taste
¾ cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1½ pounds ripe yellow plums
1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme leaves, or regular thyme leaves, plus branches for garnish
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven; heat to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan, including center tube.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
3. In another large bowl, whisk eggs well. Whisk in sugar, oil, 1 cup honey, the wine and the fresh ginger until well combined. Whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
4. Pour batter into pan and bake until springy to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for about 20 minutes, then unmold the cake and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, pit and quarter plums. In a medium bowl, toss plums with remaining 2 tablespoons honey and the thyme. Add more honey to taste and let macerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve cake sliced and garnished with plums and thyme branches.
Melissa Clark, The New York Times