Recipe: Blackberry Crumb Muffins
Makes 24 Muffins
For the crumb topping:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 / 3 cup sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ sticks of unsalted butter, melted
For the cake:
1½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ pint fresh blackberries (or raspberries, blueberries or diced strawberries)
1. Heat oven to 350. Grease or line 24 muffin cups.
2. Make the crumb topping: Whisk together flour, sugars, spices and salt in medium bowl. Pour in melted butter, stir until crumbs form.
3. Prepare the cake: Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about five minutes. Add eggs one at a time, then scrape down sides of mixer. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and zest.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to batter and beat until just mixed. Fold in berries with a spatula and make sure batter is completely mixed.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans, filling cups only halfway. Pinch large crumbs from topping mixture and scatter evenly on top of the batter.
6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until muffins are golden and their centers spring back when gently pressed with a finger. (A cake tester will come out with crumbs attached, but it shouldn’t be wet.) Transfer muffins to a wire rack. Serve warm or let cool completely and freeze.
Melissa Clark, The New York Times