Recipe: Blissful Corn Torte
Serves six to nine
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the baking dish
6¼ tablespoons rice flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
2 cups fresh or frozen/defrosted corn kernels
½ cup whole milk
6 tablespoons sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated into yolks and whites
¼ cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use a little butter to grease an 8½- or 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Combine the rice flour and baking powder in a bowl or on a sheet of waxed paper. Combine the corn kernels and milk in a blender or food processor; pulse to form a coarse purée.
3. Beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer on high speed until creamy and lightened. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the sugar. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated and fluffy.
4. Reduce the speed to low; add the egg yolks one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition. On low speed, gradually and alternately add the rice flour mixture and the heavy cream, beating until well incorporated.
5. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the corn-milk purée and beat on low speed.
6. Beat the egg whites and salt in a separate, clean bowl on medium and then high speed to form stiff peaks.
7. Gently fold about a fifth of the egg whites into corn batter until no trace of white remains, then fold in the remaining egg whites, taking care not to deflate them; some white streaks may remain.
8. Gently transfer to the baking dish, spreading the mixture evenly. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until springy to the touch and lightly browned. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per serving (based on 9): 250 calories, 5 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 130 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 1 g dietary fiber, 11 g sugar
Adapted by The Washington Post from “Pati’s Mexican Table: The Secrets of Real Mexican Home Cooking,” by Pati Jinich (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013).