Recipe: Spicy Orange Chicken Burgers
1½ cups orange juice (to be used in both patties and slaw)
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves (about 1½ pounds)
1 scallion, roughly chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon, or to taste, soy sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
4 drops toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 hamburger buns, preferably potato or brioche
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce, or to taste
Juice of half a lime
2 tablespoons finely minced purple onion
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
Salt to taste
2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
1. Pour the juice in a small pot, simmer until reduced by two-thirds and cool to room temperature.
2. To make the chicken patties: Place the chicken, scallion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil in the food processor and pulse until minced. Mix in 2 tablespoons of reduced orange juice. Using a ½ cup measurement, form mixture into six patties using moist hands.
3. Heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet until hot but not smoking. Cook chicken patties until golden brown, about six to eight minutes. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of reduced orange juice over patties to deglaze pan before flipping. Turn over and continue to cook another six to eight minutes, deglazing with another 2 tablespoons of orange juice a few minutes before the patties finish cooking to glaze patties and deglaze pan.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk yogurt, Sriracha, lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of reduced orange juice. Mix in onion, basil and salt to taste. Toss coleslaw in the creamy dressing and set aside for burger assembly.
5. Serve on toasted soft golden burger buns.
Nutritional information per serving: 308 calories (25 percent from fat), 8.5 g fat (1.3 g saturated, 4.1 g monounsaturated), 48 mg cholesterol, 25 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 1.8 g fiber, 363 mg sodium.
By Linda Cicero, The Miami Herald