Recipe: Ca Va Brasserie Media Noche Sliders
For the marinade:
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
1 pork tenderloin
For the garlic mayonnaise:
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard (optional)
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 strips smoked bacon, cooked crisp and minced
Cumin, toasted and ground
12 slider-size rolls
4 ounces smoked ham, sliced thin
1 kosher dill pickle, sliced into ¼-inch disks
2 ounces Gruyère or Swiss cheese, sliced thin
½ cup finely shredded romaine lettuce
1. Measure marinade ingredients into a self-sealing food bag. Add pork and refrigerate at least 12 hours, turning from time to time.
2. Mix garlic mayonnaise ingredients and refrigerate, covered. (Can be made up to five days ahead; you will have extra.)
3. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Remove pork from marinade, and pat dry. Season with salt and cumin. Set on a rimmed, foiled-lined baking sheet and roast 15 to 18 minutes. (This will produce pork with a slightly rosy center; let it roast longer if you prefer.)
4. Set cooked pork aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into 12 slices (about 1/2-inch thick).
5. Split rolls in half and place on a clean baking pan, cut sides up. Liberally spread with garlic mayonnaise.
6. Place a pork slice on each roll base. Tear the ham into roll-sized pieces and place on top of pork. Add pickles, and top with a slice of cheese.
7. Put sandwiches in 300-degree oven for about three minutes, until cheese melts.
8. Remove from the oven, add lettuce to each sandwich and cover with roll tops. Insert toothpicks to keep sliders intact. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per slider: 232 calories (50 percent from fat), 13 g fat (2.8 g saturated, 3.8 g monounsaturated), 36 mg cholesterol, 14.4 g protein, 14.8 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 533 mg sodium.
Chef de Cuisine Matt Corbett at Ca Va Brasserie in the InterContinental New York Times Square