Overnight Rosemary Ham & White Cheddar Strata Bites
Kathy Casey created this recipe as a do-ahead appetizer for a party. It can be easily tweaked by substituting different meats or veggies.
Makes about 24 pieces
Versatile and delicious, this recipe can become your go-to party starter. You can also make these ahead of time and reheat in a 400 degree oven for a couple of minutes right before serving.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup small-diced onion
1/3 cup small-diced red pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1 cup milk
½ cup cream
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
4 cups ½-inch-diced hearty French or rustic bread
¾ cup small-diced ham
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. To mix the strata: In a small saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté until ¾ cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, mustard, salt and pepper until well combined. Add the cooled sautéed mixture, bread, ham, cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, and fold in with a spatula to mix but not break up the bread. Cover the mixture and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 2 hours, so the bread soaks up the egg mixture.
3. To bake and serve: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick mini-muffin tins with cooking spray. (The muffin tin cups should be about 1 ¾ inches in diameter.) Set aside.
4. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of strata mixture into each muffin cup, dividing the mixture between 24 cups. (You want to fill them to the top.) Sprinkle lightly with 2 tablespoons of the remaining Parmesan. Bake for about 22-25 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
5. Let the stratas cool in the pan for about 2 minutes, and then carefully remove them from the pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of Parmesan. Serve warm.
© Kathy Casey Food Studios®- dishingwithkathycasey.com