Recipe: Corn and Red Pepper Stuffed Flank Steak Pinwheel
Flank steak takes to quick marinades.
Makes 4 servings For the marinade:
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons tequila
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 ½ pounds flank steak
For the filling:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
1 small red onion, diced
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix together the lime juice, tequila, salt, black pepper and garlic. Set aside.
2. On a work surface, cover the flank steak with plastic wrap. Pound it with a skillet to flatten it into an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Add the steak to the marinade, turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the red pepper, onion, scallions and jalapeño. Saute until the peppers begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly colored, about another 30 seconds.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, corn, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Let cool completely.
5. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
6. Remove the steak from the marinade. (Discard any unused marinade.) Arrange steak flat on a washable work surface. Spread the cooled pepper mixture evenly over the steak. Starting with a wide edge, roll the steak and stuffing up together.
7. Use 7 lengths of kitchen twine to tie the roll firmly around the center at even intervals.
8. In a large oven-safe skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high. Add the steak roll and sear until browned on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steak until it reaches 130 degrees at the center. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into 8 rounds and serving.
From Jim Romanoff for The Associated Press
Furniture & home furnishings
ACACIA - 1 plot in beautiful Garden Fir are...
AKC Boxer Puppies
AKC Longhaired Shaded Cream Male Dachshund
POST A FREE LISTING