Recipe: Apple Pie Americana
A holiday recipe for Apple Pie Americana
Makes 8 servings
1 1/2 cups flour
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk, very cold
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the crust: in a large bowl, mix together flour, oil, milk, sugar and salt until evenly blended. Pat mixture into a 9-inch pie pan, spreading dough evenly over bottom and up sides. Crimp edges of dough around perimeter of pan.
3. For filling: toss apples slices with sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread evenly in unbaked pie shell.
4. For topping: mix together flour, sugar and butter until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture. Sprinkle over apple filling.
5. Place pie on a baking sheet on middle rack of preheated oven; bake 45 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
From "Simply Classic," The Junior League of Seattle
When vice president of Sub Pop Records Megan Jasper isn't running things at the office, she's working in her garden at her West Seattle home where she and her husband Brian spend time relaxing.