Recipe: Eggnog Pumpkin Bread Pudding With Spiced Cranberry Compote
A holiday recipe for Eggnog Pumpkin Bread Pudding With Spiced Cranberry Compote
Makes 8-10 servings
8 cups packed 1/2-inch to 1-inch cubed, rustic baguette or French bread
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup (canned) pumpkin purée
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
4 large eggs
2 1/2 cups high-quality eggnog (not fat-free or low-fat)
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons spiced rum
Spiced Cranberry Compote (see recipe below)
1. Put the bread cubes in a large bowl and drizzle with melted butter.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, egg yolks, eggs, eggnog, nutmeg and rum until well combined. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and stir gently. Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes, poking the bread down into the egg mixture often and stirring it up every 10 minutes or so.
3. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
4. Transfer the bread pudding mixture to a 7-by-11-inch or 9-inch square glass baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is just set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Serve the pudding warm, topped with some of the Spiced Cranberry Compote.
Copyright 2010 by Kathy Casey Food Studios® Liquid Kitchen™ (www.kathycasey.com)
Sam and Sara Lucchese create handmade pasta out of their kitchen-garage adjacent to their Ballard home. Here, they illustrate the final steps in making pappardelle pasta.