Recipe: Flip-Over Apple Cake
This recipe for Flip-Over Apple Cake is from "Dishing Up Vermont," by Tracey Medeiros.
The Baltimore Sun
Here's a recipe for apple cake from "Dishing Up Vermont," by Tracey Medeiros. It's easy to make with kids. Be aware that it doesn't rise much — it's more like a crunchy breakfast cake.
Flip-Over Apple Cake
Makes 10 servings
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
4 medium apples
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with butter and set aside.
2. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4-inch slices. Place the apples in a bowl and toss to coat with cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar. Place apple slices in overlapping concentric circles on the bottom of the prepared pan. Make a second layer if necessary.
4. Sift the remaining 1 cup of sugar and the flour in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the egg and melted butter just until combined (do not overmix). Fold in the walnuts and continue to mix until smooth. Pour batter evenly over fruit, and smooth top with a rubber spatula.
5. Place on the center rack of the oven and bake until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven and place on a wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes. When the pan is cool enough to handle, run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, plain or with a favorite topping, such as whipped cream, ice cream or yogurt. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Each serving: 284 calories, 7 grams protein, 21 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 21 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 45 milligrams cholesterol, 9 milligrams sodium
Furniture & home furnishings
ABANDONED VEHICLE AUCTION
Acoustic Guitar Lessons at Your Home!!!
Akc Ch sired Bulldog puppy
POST A FREE LISTING