Recipe: Thin Crisp-Style Pizza Crust
Makes one 14- to 16-inch pizza; serves 4 to 6 Generous 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast (not fast-rising) 1/2 cup warm (about 100 degrees) water 1...
Latest from our Living blogs
Latte art: The ongoing, online throwdown NEW - 7/12, 01:01 PM
Edamame hummus: the do-it-yourself recipe NEW - 7/13, 11:37 AM
Makes one 14- to 16-inch pizza; serves 4 to 6
Generous 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast (not fast-rising)
1/2 cup warm (about 100 degrees) water
1 teaspoon all-purpose unbleached flour
1 to 1 ¼ cups all-purpose unbleached flour (organic, if possible)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cornmeal for pizza stone
1. In a medium mixing bowl or food processor, blend yeast, water and teaspoon of flour. Foam should form on the surface in about 8 minutes (if not, yeast is past its prime; find new yeast and start the process over).
2. Blend in the rest of the flour and the salt, forming a smooth, quite soft, slightly sticky dough. Knead by hand 5 minutes, or in a food processor 30 seconds. Dough should be very elastic and still sticky. Place dough in a large oiled bowl; cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let stand in a cool place until doubled in bulk (about 1 ½ hours). If not ready to bake, keep dough covered and hold up to 8 hours at room temperature, or for two days in the refrigerator.
3. About 20 minutes before baking, punch dough down, knead a minute or two and then form into a ball, and cover. To make the pizza, put pizza stone on lowest oven rack and heat to 500 degrees. Roll out dough as thin as possible to about a 16-inch round (no more than 1/16-inch thick).
4. Generously cover the cookie sheet or pizza pan with cornmeal. Spread the dough round on the sheet or pan. Let rest 10 minutes.
5. Pull the oven rack with pizza stone out, cautiously slip the pizza crust onto the stone and top as desired. Bake 12 minutes, or until crust is crisp when lifted with a long-handled spatula. Using the spatula, slip the pizza back onto the sheet or pan to remove from the oven. Cut and serve.
From Lynne Rossetto Kasper
Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 10:07 AM
Obese people asked to eat fast food for health study
NEW - 7:00 PM
Wine Adviser: Some good Washington wineries got away
Furniture & home furnishings
AKC Havanese Puppies
Bothell (WA) Moving Boxes Seattle Moving Ki...
Fire King Legal 4-drawer File Cabinet - $35...
POST A FREE LISTING