Recipe: Lisa Lillien's Super Cheesy Chicken Parmesan
Kitchen experts share some of their favorite skillet recipes.
Latest from our Living blogs
Latte art: The ongoing, online throwdown NEW - 7/12, 01:01 PM
Edamame hummus: the do-it-yourself recipe NEW - 7/13, 11:37 AM
Lisa Lillien sends out daily e-mails with weight loss ideas and recipes from hungry-girl.com. She's author of "Hungry Girl Recipes and Survival Strategies" (St. Martin's).
"You CAN cook chicken Parmesan that's healthy. With a high-fiber crust and low-fat cheese, mine is guilt-free. I serve it straight from the pan for my husband and me, but it's also great for a group."
LISA LILLIEN'S SUPER CHEESY CHICKEN PARMESAN
Prep: 35 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
4 6-oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. cooking oil, divided, or nonstick cooking spray
½ cup canned tomato sauce with Italian seasonings (See NOTE).
1 cup whole bran cereal shreds (such as Fiber One original or All-Bran)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz.)
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed (optional)
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning, crushed
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup fat-free egg product, thawed
2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 oz.)
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Snipped fresh oregano (optional)
1 recipe Pasta with Sweet Peppers, see recipe
1. Between sheets of plastic wrap, pound chicken breast halves to even thickness (about 3/8 inch thick); set aside.
2. In 12-inch skillet cook onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil until tender. In bowl mix onion mixture and tomato sauce; set aside.
3. In food processor or blender process or blend cereal to the size of breadcrumbs. In shallow dish stir together cereal crumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, Italian seasoning, and salt; season with pepper.
4. In another dish place egg product. Dip chicken in egg product then crumb mixture.
5. In skillet cook chicken in remaining 1 tablespoon hot oil for 4 minutes per side or until cooked through (170 degrees) over medium-high heat. Spoon sauce on chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and oregano. Serve with Pasta with Sweet Peppers.
NOTE: Heat and pass remaining canned tomato sauce, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Pasta with sweet Peppers: Cook 6 ounces whole-grain fettuccine according to package directions, adding 1 large red sweet pepper cut in strips, the last 1 minute of cooking. Drain well. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 566, Total Fat (g) 17, Saturated Fat (g) 4, Monounsaturated Fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 7, Cholesterol (mg) 113, Sodium (mg) 719, Carbohydrate (g) 53, Total Sugar (g) 5, Fiber (g) 10, Protein (g) 55, Vitamin C (DV percent) 98, Calcium (DV percent) 27, Iron (DV percent) 36, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 10:07 AM
Obese people asked to eat fast food for health study
NEW - 7:00 PM
Wine Adviser: Some good Washington wineries got away
Furniture & home furnishings
akc boston terrier
AKC Fox Red Labrador Retrievers
AKC Golden Retriever Puppies from Experienc...
POST A FREE LISTING