Recipe: Chicken Saltimbocca with Pan Sauce
Serves 42 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves ¼ teaspoon kosher salt ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper 8 thin slices...
Serves 42 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
8 thin slices prosciutto
11 sage leaves, divided
2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional *
1. To make cutlets: Set a chicken breast on a cutting surface. Working with a thin, sharp knife, start at the thickest end and cut on the diagonal into 4 pieces that are as even as possible. Repeat with the second chicken breast half.
2. Place 4 of the chicken cutlets on a sheet of plastic wrap and cover with a second sheet. Pound the chicken to just a little thicker than 1/8 inch. Repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place one of the sage leaves on each piece and wrap in the prosciutto. The chicken can be prepared several hours in advance to this point. Cover and refrigerate.
4. When ready to cook, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 sage leaves and fry in the oil until almost crispy. Discard. Dredge 4 of the chicken pieces in the flour and pat off the excess. Place in the hot oil and sauté 3 minutes. Turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked through. (** See Kitchen Notes.) Remove from pan and hold in a warm oven. Repeat with remaining chicken, dredging first in flour. Transfer to the oven.
5. Put pan back on medium-high heat. Deglaze pan with wine, scraping up the browned juices on the bottom of the pan. Boil down for about 2 minutes to thicken, then remove from heat and add butter, swirling to blend. When sauce has thickened, pour over the saltimbocca and serve.
Times Kitchen Notes:
* If omitting the butter, cook the wine down a little further to thicken the sauce.
** The chicken can be cut into to test for doneness.
Adapted from "Small Plates, Perfect Wines: Creating Little Dishes with Big Flavors" by Lori Lyn Narlock
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 10:07 AM
Obese people asked to eat fast food for health study
NEW - 7:00 PM
Wine Adviser: Some good Washington wineries got away
Furniture & home furnishings
AKC Standard poodle puppies Ready to go
Baby Boxer Puppies - $500
Boston Terriers CKC Male
POST A FREE LISTING