Seattle chefs, restaurants are James Beard award semifinalists
More than a dozen Seattle-area restaurants and bakeries are semifinalists for the 2008 James Beard Foundation Awards, the culinary world's...
Seattle Times staff reporter
More than a dozen Seattle-area restaurants and bakeries are semifinalists for the 2008 James Beard Foundation Awards, the culinary world's version of the Oscars.
• Outstanding chef: Thierry Rautureau, Rover's, Seattle
• Outstanding restaurateur: Tom Douglas, Tom Douglas Restaurants, Seattle
• Outstanding restaurant/outstanding service: Canlis, Seattle
• Rising star chef: Rachel Yang/Seif Chirchi, Joule, Seattle
• Outstanding pastry chef: James Miller, Café Besalu, Seattle
• Best new restaurant: Joule, Seattle
• Best chef Northwest: In Seattle, William Belickis of Mistral, Kevin Davis of Steelhead Diner, Matt Dillon of Sitka & Spruce, Maria Hines of Tilth, Joseba Jiménez de Jiménez of The Harvest Vine, Scott Staples of Restaurant Zoe, Ethan Stowell of Union and Jason Wilson of Crush. And in Kirkland, Brian Scheehser of Trellis, Holly Smith of Café Juanita.
The Seattle-area is home to many former Beard Award winners, including: 2007 best Northwest chef John Sundstrom, of Lark; 2006 best Northwest chef Scott Carsberg, of Lampreia; and the Dahlia Lounge, a finalist for 2006 best restaurant in the country.
Finalists will be announced March 24 and the winners announced June 8 in New York City. Visit jamesbeard.org for more details.
Karen Gaudette: 206-515-5618 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 10:07 AM
Obese people asked to eat fast food for health study
NEW - 7:00 PM
Wine Adviser: Some good Washington wineries got away
Seattle Times transportation reporter Mike Lindblom describes some of the factors that may have led to the collapse of the I-5 bridge over the Skagit River in Mount Vernon on Thursday, May 23.