Recipe: Homemade Mayonnaise
Makes 3 cups
2 egg yolks*
1 whole egg*
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups corn oil or other vegetable oil, or best-quality olive oil
1. Use very high quality, fresh eggs. Combine the egg yolks, whole egg, mustard, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and half of the lemon juice in a food processor. Process for 1 minute.
2. With the motor running, dribble in the oil in a slow steady stream. When you have added all the oil, shut the motor off and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
3. Taste the mayonnaise. Correct the seasoning, if necessary; if you are using vegetable oil, you will probably need the remaining lemon juice.
4. Scrape the mayonnaise into a storage container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The mayonnaise will keep safely, if refrigerated, for at least 5 days. Let it return to room temperature before stirring and using.
Kathy Casey's note: This is one of several Silver Palate flavored mayonnaises designated for asparagus. Julee and Sheila describe it as "light enough not to disguise the wonder of this long vegetable."
* Raw eggs are not recommended for pregnant women, children, the elderly or anyone with immune deficiencies.
From "The Silver Palate Cookbook" by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
Furniture & home furnishings
Adorable, Super Tiny AKC Male Yorkie Puppy
Australian Shepherd pups - Reg. Full, mini ...
Ballet, Modern, Jazz and Tap Classes in Bel...
POST A FREE LISTING