Recipe: Raajma Royale (Kidney Beans)
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 5 or 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (curry powder)
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced tomato
- ½-inch gingerroot, sliced thin or grated
- 3 to 4 fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs
1. Rinse kidney beans 3 to 4 times. Soak them overnight and drain the liquid.
2. Bring 5 cups water and kidney beans to a boil in a Dutch oven, adding chili powder, turmeric, coriander and curry powder. Reduce heat and cook for 30 to 60 minutes on medium heat till the beans become soft. Add salt.
3. In a separate pan, sauté onions till golden brown in oil, then add tomatoes. Stir for a minute, then add ginger, if using. Add this to the kidney beans. Mash some of the cooked beans in a bowl and put them back into the pot to thicken the soup. Add more water if needed. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with paratha bread.
Tip: Black-eyed peas, pinto beans and navy beans can also be cooked in this manner.
From Stuti Garg, of Woodinville
Furniture & home furnishings
Call for Bids City of Newcastle
CITY OF KIRKLAND - NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING...
POST A FREE LISTING