Recipe: Cherry-Sauced Ham
- 1 (5-pound) fully cooked boneless ham
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup cherry spread or cherry jam
- 2 teaspoons pink peppercorns (see Times Kitchen Note *)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces (see Times Kitchen Note **)
1. Remove ham from refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and rub with mustard. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees on a meat thermometer.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring sherry to a boil and reduce for about 2 minutes. Add cherry spread, peppercorns and cloves; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in butter a little at a time to thicken the sauce.
3. Slice the ham and nap with some of the sauce. Serve with the remaining sauce.
Times Kitchen Notes:
*Freeze-dried green peppercorns can be substituted for the pink peppercorns in this recipe. Or simply add freshly ground black pepper to taste to the finished sauce.
** The butter can be reduced by half in this recipe.
From Stewart Vineyards
When vice president of Sub Pop Records Megan Jasper isn't running things at the office, she's working in her garden at her West Seattle home where she and her husband Brian spend time relaxing.