Recipe: Curried Pumpkin-Peanut Soup
- 2 tablespoons red-skinned peanuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups fresh or canned pumpkin purée
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 2 ½ teaspoons curry powder
-¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
-¾ cup plain nonfat yogurt, divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Put the peanuts into a small baking pan and roast in a preheated 350-degree oven 10 minutes. Cool slightly; place in a kitchen towel and rub together to remove the skins. Chop coarsely and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. With a whisk, stir in the pumpkin, peanut butter, chicken broth, curry, cayenne and salt. Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
3. Purée the soup in a food processor or in several batches in a blender. Pour back into the pan and set over medium-low heat. Stir in ½ cup yogurt and the lemon juice. Heat through for about 5 minutes but do not let the soup come to a boil.
4. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with the remaining yogurt and chopped peanuts.
The idea for this recipe came from "The New Basics Cookbook" by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
Furniture & home furnishings
Affordable Massage Training! Get Licensed! ...
AKC and APRA shelties
POST A FREE LISTING