|Traffic | Weather | Your account||Movies | Restaurants | Today's events|
Recipe: Barbecued Chicken and Cheddar Pizza
Makes one 14-inch pizza
- 1 package (18 ounces) frozen pizza dough
- 2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal or olive oil
- All-purpose flour for rolling
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken
- ¾ cup bottled barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups coarsely shredded medium or sharp cheddar cheese
1. Remove dough from refrigerator or freezer and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes if fresh or 4 hours if frozen.
2. Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Sprinkle cornmeal over the bottom of a 16-inch pizza pan or a baking sheet. (Or lightly oil pan with olive oil.)
3. Lightly flour surface for rolling crust — a thin film is enough. Place dough on top and roll to a 14-inch circle. From time to time, lift dough off surface and stretch it lightly in all directions. (This relaxes the dough and makes it easier to roll.) Place in prepared pan, forming a slightly raised edge.
4. Combine shredded chicken with ¼ cup barbecue sauce. Spread remaining sauce over the pizza crust. Distribute garlic, onion and bell pepper over the sauce and top with chicken. Spread cheese over the chicken and sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
5. Bake pizza on center oven rack 15 minutes. Lift pizza with a spatula to check on crust's doneness on bottom. If necessary, place pan on lower rack and continue baking 4 minutes. Set aside 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
From "Pizza" by Diane Morgan and Tony Gemignani
Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company