|Traffic | Weather | Your account||Movies | Restaurants | Today's events|
Recipe: China Moon Hot Chili Oil
Makes about 3 cups
- 2/3 cup pungent dried red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup Chinese fermented black beans (do not rinse them), coarsely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 ½ cups corn or peanut oil
- 1/3 cup Japanese sesame oil
1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy, non-aluminum 2- to 2 ½-quart saucepan. Rest a deep-fry thermometer on the rim of the pot. Over moderately low heat, bring mixture to a bubbly 225 to 250 degrees, stirring occasionally. Let simmer 15 minutes, checking to make sure temperature doesn't rise. Remove from the heat and let stand until cool.
2. Scrape oil and solids into an impeccably clean glass or plastic container. Cover and store in refrigerator. Set out at room temperature about 30 minutes before using.
From "China Moon Cookbook" by Barbara Tropp
Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company