Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

UK police drop hacking probe against suspect

British police investigating a phone hacking scandal that led to the closure of a leading tabloid said Tuesday they have released a suspect from bail.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

LONDON —

British police investigating a phone hacking scandal that led to the closure of a leading tabloid said Tuesday they have released a suspect from bail.

Metropolitan Police said Tuesday they will take no further action against the 39-year-old man, who was arrested Aug. 18 at a London police station last year.

The man was not identified, but Britain's Press Association reported he is James Desborough, the former editor for the U.S. of Rupert Murdoch's defunct News of the World.

Desborough, who won the 2009 British Press Award for show business reporter of the year, was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications.

Murdoch closed the tabloid in July after evidence emerged that it had illegally eavesdropped on dozens of people in its quest for scoops. More than 40 people have been arrested by police investigating phone hacking and corruption.

Justice Brian Leveson is leading a prolonged inquiry into corrupt British press practices.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The summer is wide open.

The summer is wide open.

Follow our three-part "Washington's National Parks" series running through August 10 for an in-depth look at some of our local treasures.

Advertising

Advertising

NDN Video

The Seattle Times Historical Archives

Browse our newspaper page archives from 1900-1984

Autos news and research

 What's in a wheel size?

What's in a wheel size?


Advertising