Everyone else's excuse to bar hop
We're getting closer ... The complex calendar kept by the stargazing Mayans starts sometime around 3000 B. C., and apparently ends right...
Seattle Times staff reporter
We're getting closer ...
The complex calendar kept by the stargazing Mayans starts sometime around 3000 B.C., and apparently ends right around Dec. 22, 2012. Some theorize that could be the beginning of the end, or maybe even the end, finito — as Michael Stipe chanted a while ago, "the end of the world as we know it ... "
Meanwhile, and this we know with certainty, 2007 is speeding toward its end. Bars and clubs will charge two to three times what they normally do, cashing in on what's widely known as "amateur night."
Following are a few of the amped-up New Year's Eve celebrations happening around Seattle.
Note that cover charges are subject to change, and many places will sell out in advance. Best to make reservations, or at least call ahead or click. At most of the venues, music is scheduled to start around 9 p.m.
• The down-and-dirty Funhouse has punk/New Wave DJs Baby J and Blackout. The house of fun also has a beer garden, with a view of the Space Needle fireworks show just across the street; $5 (www.thefunhouseseattle.com or 206-374-8400).
• The classy, timeless Century Ballroom hosts a salsa dance powered by the excellent six-piece Tumbao; $40 (206-325-6500 or www.centuryballroom.com).
• New York City's Voltaire and Seattle's Bre Loughlin are on the bill at El Corazon; $10 advance/$15 day of show (www.elcorazonseattle.com or 206-632-8499.)
• Portland pop band Floater, local space rockers Voyager One and the sexy Burning Hearts Burlesque put on a fest at Neumo's; $15 advance (www.neumos.com or 206-709-9467).
• Johnny Sangster's the Tripwires and up-and-coming punk rockers the Whore Moans ring it in at Ballard's Sunset Tavern; $25 (www.sunsettavern.com or 206-784-4880).
• Downtown/off-Pioneer Square club Ibiza has live satellite feeds from linked parties in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, Dallas and other cities (who in turn get to watch Seattle). Ten percent of the admission — $135 general, $200 VIP — from "New Year's Nation" is to benefit the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research (www.newyearsnation.com or 206-381-9090).
• Soul/funk band Maktub and pop singer Carrie Akre — both making comebacks in 2007 — join forces for the big night at Showbox at the Market. Maktub will be playing from its aptly-named "Start It Over," and Akre will belt cuts from her new "Last the Evening." The Hammerbox/Goodness veteran's talented band features former Screaming Trees drummer Mark Pickerel (www.showboxonline.com or 206-628-3151).
• Too Slim and the Taildraggers swing in the New Year at the Triple Door for two shows, an all-ages set at 7 p.m. and 21-and-over at 10:30 p.m.; $30 (206-838-4333or www.thetripledoor.net).
• Disco/funk cover act Hit Explosion and other bands — plus DJs and comedians — perform at "The Indulgence New Year's Bash" at EMP; $69 (www.seattlebash.com).
• The Bad Things and members of Circus Contraption get together for a carnival-like show at Belltown's unpretentious Rendezvous/Jewel Box Theater; $10 advance/$12 door (www.brownpapertickets.com or 206-441-5823).
• Mr. Supreme and other DJs hype up the action at Pioneer Square spot Club Heavens — you may remember this space as the Catwalk; $25 (206-622-1863 or www.heavenseattle.com).
• The Dudley Manlove Quartet cranks up lounge-rock hits at Chop Suey; $20 (www.chopsuey.com or 206-324-8000).
• With all the glam and hype and inflated prices, it's nice to know that the good old — well, old, if not good — Blue Moon Tavern isn't charging a cover, as usual. The New Year's bill at the U-District's legendary dive: Old-school rockers the Moondoggies and Purty Mouth, "Seattle's premiere gay and lesbian alt-country band" (www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle or 206-675-9116).
Tom Scanlon: 206-464-3891 or email@example.com
Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company
UPDATE - 08:57 AM
'Glee' could cover more Michael, Janet ... and ABBA
UPDATE - 09:14 AM
Carey 'embarrassed' over Gadhafi-linked concert
Furniture & home furnishings
'04 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue
A VERY VINTAGE MARKET
Ayamblue Christian Web Hosting for your Bus...
POST A FREE LISTING