Notebook | Pritchard adds to family legacy
Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard said he had a lot of good memories of Martin Stadium growing up as the son and nephew of Washington...
Seattle Times staff reporter
PULLMAN — Stanford quarterback Tavita Pritchard said he had a lot of good memories of Martin Stadium growing up as the son and nephew of Washington State football players.
Well, now he has some good ones that he created, even in a defeat.
The redshirt sophomore from Clover Park High School near Tacoma had his first 200-yard passing game Saturday in the 33-17 defeat against the Cougars.
Pritchard completed 22 of 40 passes for 263 yards. He didn't throw a touchdown and was intercepted twice, with the second pick returned 55 yards by Husain Abdullah for the game's final score.
"As an offense, and me personally, we played well for most of the night, just not when it counted," Pritchard said. "We couldn't put the ball in the end zone in the first half and down the stretch."
Last month, Pritchard did precisely that when he led Stanford in the epic upset over USC, a 41-point favorite.
Pritchard's father, David, played center on the 1981 Cougars' Holiday Bowl team. His uncle Jack is former WSU quarterback Jack Thompson, whose No. 14 has been retired by WSU.
Saturday, Pritchard was wearing No. 14 for Stanford.
Pritchard, whom WSU coach Bill Doba last week publicly regretted not signing in 2005, said after the game, I am 100 percent a Stanford guy, maybe 110 percent and there is 10 percent still with the Cougs."
Accolades for Brink
For the second consecutive year, Washington State quarterback Alex Brink is one of 11 finalists for the Wuerffel Award.
The Wuerffel Award is named after former Florida Heisman winner Danny Wuerffel and candidates must excel in the classroom, the field and in community service.
Brink also is a finalist for the Draddy Award, which has much of the same student-athlete-citizen criteria.
Brink's 449-yard passing performance was the fifth time he has thrown for more than 400 yards in a game in his career.
It was his second 400-yard game of this year — he threw for 469 against San Diego State.
The 449-yard outing ranks No. 4 on the WSU career list. Brink has the No. 1 game — his 531-yard game against Oregon State in 2005, and the San Diego State performance was No. 3.
Drew Bledsoe is No. 2 at 476 yards against Utah in the 1992 Copper Bowl.
• The victory means that the Cougars will break a three-year streak of having a winless month. The Cougars went 0 for October in 2004 and 2005 and were 0-3 in November last year.
• Stanford was without leading wide receiver Richard Sherman, who was left home after throwing a sideline temper tantrum last week against Washington.
• The Cougars' 561 yards of total offense is their second-highest total of the season — behind the 654 against San Diego State in Game 2. The Stanford game was the third time WSU has gone past the 500-yard mark. The Cougs had 545 yards in the 27-7 victory over UCLA.
• Stanford kicker Derek Belch, who missed kicks of 27 and 38 yards, was harsh on himself after the game. "I'll pretty much put the whole loss on my shoulders because it's just a completely different game if those shots go in. You can quote me on that."
• With a career-high 153 receiving yards, Brandon Gibson has posted 100 or more yards four times this season.
• Jed Collins tied a career high with 10 receptions, and recorded his first 100-yard game with 123 yards.
• Husain Abdullah tied his career high with 14 tackles. He also has 64 tackles in the past six games, including 7.5 for a loss.
• Romeen Abdollmohammadi has now hit seven consecutive field-goal attempts after going 4 for 4.
• The victory Saturday for Washington State halted a three-game winning streak for Stanford at Martin Stadium.
Freelancer Brandon Scheller contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company
UPDATE - 8:27 PM
UCLA extends win streak in Pullman to 18
Furniture & home furnishings
City of Bellevue EBCC Public Hearing 13-133...
City of Bellevue EBCC Public Hearing Notice...
City of Bothell SEPA Notice for GRAR2014-51...
POST A FREE LISTING