Super streak! Western Washington men's basketball team wins record 29th consecutive game
Forward Cameron Severson came off the bench to score a game-high 16 points in just 16 minutes as the Western Washington men's basketball...
BELLINGHAM — Forward Cameron Severson came off the bench to score a game-high 16 points in just 16 minutes as the Western Washington men's basketball team stayed unbeaten with a 76-60 triumph over Saint Martin's Thursday night.
WWU, the defending NCAA Division II national champion, improved to 23-0 with its 29th straight victory. Both the start and streak are school and conference records. Western leads the Great Northwest Athletic Conference at 14-0.
It was the 22nd straight win for WWU at Carver Gym, breaking a mark set during the 1970-71 and 1971-72 seasons.
John Allen of Mountlake Terrace added 15 points.
• Katie Benson of Snohomish scored a career-high 32 points and passed the 1,000-point mark for her career, leading Seattle Pacific (14-8, 8-6 GNAC) to a 70-60 women's victory over Simon Fraser. Benson is the 20th player in SPU history to score more than 1,000 points.
• Center Britt Harris of Marysville had 15 points as the Western Washington women (18-3, 12-1 GNAC) won at Montana State Billings, 71-54.
• David Downs scored 21 points and the Seattle Pacific men (18-3, 11-2) crushed Central Washington 113-75.
• The Everett Silvertips lost their eighth straight game Thursday, 4-1 at Kelowna. Landon Oslanski notched Everett's goal, after a video review.
• Seattle's Brady Clark rink, from the Granite Curling Club, advanced with a 9-8 tiebreaker win over two-time national champion Craig Brown at the USA Curling National Championships in Green Bay, Wis., on Thursday. Clark's team includes Sean Beighton, Darren Lehto and Philip Tilker. Competition continues Friday.
From Web reports and news releases