Samsung to fight Apple's product-ban efforts
A day after Apple said it would seek to ban eight Samsung smartphones from sale in the U.S., the South Korean electronics company said it "will take all necessary measures to ensure the availability of our products in the U.S. market."
Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES -- Samsung isn't going away without a fight.
A day after Apple said it would seek to ban eight Samsung smartphones from sale in the U.S., the South Korean electronics giant shot back Tuesday with a short statement: "We will take all necessary measures to ensure the availability of our products in the U.S. market."
Apple scored an overwhelming victory in federal court in San Jose, Calif., last week when a jury sided with the Cupertino, Calif., tech company in the billion-dollar patent infringement case. The nine-member jury, after three days of deliberation, found that Samsung had infringed on six of seven Apple patents; Apple was awarded $1.05 billion in damages.
Samsung has indicated it plans to file an appeal.
On Sept. 20, U.S. District Judge Lucy H. Koh, who presided over the four-week trial, will hold an injunction hearing to determine which, if any, of Samsung's products should be banned from U.S. store shelves.
Apple wants the following eight smartphones banned: the Samsung Droid Charge, Galaxy S II 4G, Galaxy S II (AT&T version), Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II (T-Mobile version), Galaxy S II Epic 4G (Sprint version), Galaxy S Showcase and Galaxy Prevail.
Before the trial began, Koh already issued a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer.
Apple's request for a permanent injunction on U.S. sales of Samsung mobile devices was set for a Dec. 6 hearing, according to a court filing.
Information from Bloomberg News is included in this report.