Answers: Test your business IQ, 2009 edition
2009 | A Look Back
Seattle Times photo editors have chosen their favorite images of 2009.
1. Boeing set the following dates for the first flight of its 787 Dreamliner:
A. Summer 2007; B. End of 2009; and C. First half of 2009. B turned out to be correct.
2. How many 787s has Boeing sold? (net orders as of Dec. 15)
3. Microsoft launched which product this year:
C. Zune HD
4. In which country does Starbucks not have a shop?
5. Which statement about longtime Seattle real-estate developer Michael R. Mastro is NOT true:
B. The trustee charged with liquidating Mastro's assets says enough remains that his individual "Friends & Family" investors should get most of their money back.
6. Match the ex-bank with its size when it went under and the bank that took over its operations:
A. Bank of Clark County, Vancouver; 2. $446.5 million; Z. Umpqua Bank, Roseburg, Ore.
B. Westsound Bank, Bremerton; 3. $334.6 million; X. Kitsap Bank, Port Orchard
C. Venture Bank, Lacey; 1. $970.0 million; Y. First-Citizens Bank & Trust, Raleigh, N.C.
7. Match the quote to the speaker:
"We'd still be better off if we'd never heard of Charleston"
— Economist Dick Conway, referring to Boeing's announcement about second 787 production line going to South Carolina
Via has allowed Starbucks to "tap into new incremental use occasions and need states."
— Starbucks Chairman and CEO Howard Schultz on national rollout of instant coffee
"This is not a company that needs to be pulled apart and left for the chickens."
— Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz before deal with Microsoft
"If we hadn't stopped [Lincoln Square expansion], I'd be down on my hands and knees gasping for breath."
— Developer Kemper Freeman on his mid-2008 halt to planned expansion of Lincoln Square, averting a heavy debt load.
8. Which Washington-based stock performed best (as of Dec. 22)?
C. Cell Therapeutics soared 715 percent, from 14 cents to $1.14.
9. What does Omeros do?
B. Develops drugs
10. Of the 20 worst-performing Northwest stocks in 2009 (as of Dec. 22), how many were banks?
11. Washington's unemployment soared in 2009, to a seasonally adjusted 9.2 percent in November. Who was president the last time the state's jobless rate was that high?
C. Ronald Reagan
Sam and Sara Lucchese create handmade pasta out of their kitchen-garage adjacent to their Ballard home. Here, they illustrate the final steps in making pappardelle pasta.