Boeing Live Event Coverage
Airbus sales chief John Leahy tours the 787, takes another dig
At the Farnborough Air Show Tuesday, Airbus sales chief John Leahy, along with Airbus CEO Fabrice Bregier, toured the Qatar Airways Boeing 787 Dreamliner that is flying this week.
After disembarking, a reporter asked Leahy what he thought of the Dreamliner.
Leahy cannot let such an opportunity pass without putting in a word for his forthcoming rival jet, the A350, and at the same time taking a little dig at Boeing's baby.
"The interior is lovely," Leahy responded. "It's the same interior we'll put in my A350. Except this is a little bit smaller."
The A350 indeed has a slightly wider fuselage than the 787, prompting Leahy in 2006 to begin marketing it as the A350XWB -- for "extra-wide body."
The largest member of the Airbus jet family, the A350-1000 actually competes against the 777, not the 787. The 777 cabin is wider than that of the A350.
(Above right, John Leahy takes a last look at Boeing's 787 as he and his boss Fabrice Bregier descend to the tarmac at Farnborough. My photo.)
(On the jump: The Qatar Airways 787 Dreamliner against a threatening Farnborough sky. My photo.)
- Boeing employment data
- Boeing financial reports
- Boeing orders and deliveries database
- Airbus orders and deliveries database
- European Aeronautics Defense and Space Company
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Pacific Northwest Aerospace Alliance
- State aerospace companies: 2006 wage and job data
- Flightaware live flight tracking
- Flight International airplane cutaway graphics
- Live Air Traffic Control audio feeds
- Paine Field Everett daily photo record
- Renton & Boeing Field photos