The Seattle Times

FREDERICK REED / AP
Advertising

Monday, April 22, 2013

'Cinnamon challenge' a dangerous fad for teens

Dejah Reed, an Ypsilanti, Mich., teen, was hospitalized for a collapsed lung after trying the cinnamon challenge. A new report from doctors to be published Monday describes the dangers of daring someone to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water. The fad depicted in wildly popular YouTube videos has led to hospitalizations and a surge in calls to U.S. poison centers.