Skip to main content

Originally published April 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM | Page modified April 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments (98)
  • Print

Renton man held in Auburn shootout that killed 3

Auburn police continue to sift through evidence from a tavern shooting that left three dead while they look at a “person of interest” they believe fired a handgun into the crowd.

Seattle Times staff reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
More gang violence! When are we going to admit we have a gang problem and start... MORE
We apparently have an entire subculture that will attack and even kill one another at... MORE
'several more guns were recovered." Yep, that's what I do with my legal gun, dr... MORE


A King County District Court judge set bail at $250,000 on Monday for a 28-year-old Renton man who allegedly fired a .45-caliber handgun into a crowd after seeing his friend get shot.

The Renton man, a felon who is not supposed to have a gun, is considered a “person of interest” in the parking-lot shootout early Sunday at an Auburn sports bar that left three dead at the scene and a fourth man with gunshot wounds in serious condition at Harborview Medical Center, said Auburn police Cmdr. Mike Hirman.

The identities of the victims have not been released pending the completion of autopsies by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office.

However, witnesses at the scene have identified the men. None of the three appear to have a criminal history, according to court records.

The Seattle Times is not naming the 28-year-old because he has not been identified as a suspect or charged in the shootings. He was booked into the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent on Sunday for investigation of reckless endangerment and unlawful possession of a firearm, jail records show.

Police say he retrieved a .45-caliber handgun after witnessing a friend get shot, according to a statement outlining the police case against him. The man reportedly “fired five rounds towards the shooter and the surrounding crowd,” creating a “substantial risk” of death or injury to others, the statement says.

The 28-year-old was arrested in Federal Way after police stopped a bullet-riddled 1996 Chevrolet Impala that had been reported leaving the scene by Auburn officers, Hirman said.

That car was one of seven impounded by police as part of the shooting investigation, Hirman said.

Four of the vehicles were parked outside the Sports Page at 2802 Auburn Way N., where the shootings occurred; one vehicle was pulled over by police in Kent; and one was found outside Multicare Auburn Medical Center, where friends of the injured man took him before he was transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Hirman said.

The injured man was in serious but stable condition Monday, according to Hirman.

Several handguns also were recovered at the scene “and we know there are more out there,” said Hirman, adding that there were at least two shooters and possibly four or five.

Detectives are continuing to interview witnesses and are awaiting autopsy reports to help them get a clearer picture of what happened, Hirman said. One autopsy was conducted on Monday, he said.

There were at least 100 people in the parking lot at the time of the shootings and police have encountered “small variations” in statements from witnesses, Hirman said.

But it appears the dispute started when a woman became angry that another woman was dancing with her boyfriend or husband, he said.

The dispute then escalated outside the bar and involved two groups of men — one group was at the bar for a birthday party while the other “was a less formal group that joined up there,” Hirman said.

“Many of the folks we’ve talked to are decent, law-abiding citizens who were just there for a birthday party,” he said. “There were others there who may have more of a criminal history.”

On Sunday, the parents of Lorenzo Duncan, 23, identified their son as one of the dead. Duncan was often the peacemaker when his friends started arguments, his parents, Bernice Buchanan and Larry Duncan, told a reporter on Sunday.

Attempts to reach relatives of the two other victims on Monday were not successful.

News researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report, which includes information from Seattle Times archives.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►